Patients wanting to replace missing teeth with dental implants are some of the most common visits to an oral surgeon. This type of restoration procedure has become so popular that it has inspired additional dental practitioners and corporate dental companies to offer dental implant placement services when they are not qualified to do so. Many practitioners don’t have the same level of training as an oral surgeon, which is why we urge you to ask very specific questions of your doctor before proceeding with dental implant placement. Read through the following five questions when picking the right doctor for your dental implant placement.
- How many implants have you placed? You should ask this question because it will exemplify their experience. Most dental practitioners are not specialists and, therefore, do not perform very many dental implants. But oral surgeons perform dental implant procedures regularly and will be able to tell you a high number of procedures they performed successfully.
- What is the level of your doctor’s training? Oral surgeons are specialists in dental implant placement because they must complete extensive training and gain in-hospital experience through their residency program before they gain the licensure. Other dental practitioners gain their training during a weekend course and then perform dental implant procedures. When choosing who you would prefer, the choice is obvious!
- How do I know if I qualify for dental implants? The best way to find out is to visit the practice of an experienced oral surgeon and have a consultation appointment. Your appointment will consist of an oral examination and a discussion of your medical history. Your oral surgeon will work with you to develop a treatment plan.
- How long will the procedure take? Dental implant procedures do vary, but you should keep in mind that the procedure should not be rushed, and it also shouldn’t take too long. A half an hour to an hour is about the amount of time it should take.
- What is their success rate with implants? For best results, you want to choose a doctor that is almost always successful because it shows how well they know the procedure. A doctor who has at least a 95 percent success rate is ideal.
While dentists and other dental professionals may claim they can place dental implants, it’s important to have all the information you need to make the best decision for your oral health. To make the best decision possible, the most important thing is long-term experience and knowledge. When you select a professionally trained oral surgeon, you get both knowledge and experience!
If you still have questions, or you are ready to come in and meet our skilled team, please feel free to contact Utah Facial & Oral Surgery and schedule a consultation.