A sinus lift is performed to increase the height and bone available for your implants. It is imperative that you carefully follow the instructions below to maximize your healing and improve the long-term outcome of your dental implants:
- Do not blow your nose for at least 7 days, as the pressure may damage your sinuses or reduce sinus healing. If you have to sneeze, do not hold it in. Sneeze out, open your mouth, and try to minimize the pressure in your nasal or sinus passages.
- You may use nasal decongestants, such as over-the-counter (OTC) Sudafed® tablets or Afrin® nasal spray to keep your passages dry, especially if you are experiencing continuous drainage or feel the need to blow your nose.
- Take the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor until they are finished, even if you feel fine, as they protect the surgical site from infection.
- One to two servings of yogurt or an acidophilus probiotic tablet is recommended daily to reduce gastrointestinal complications.
- Do not drink through a straw, as this creates suction, which may damage a healing clot. You may drink from a cup or bowl, or use a spoon.
- Do not smoke, as smoking decreases blood flow, contaminates the healing wound and may lead to infection.